Monday, February 2, 2009

Fighting Cancer

I posted something about Tuesday yesterday and then I erased my post. I am not sure why. I have read her blog for awhile, well her family's blog. They started a blog even before their twin 2 year old daughter was diagnosed with Neuroblastoma. She fought very hard and Wednesday they found out that in a week's time her tumor had doubled in size even with treatment. So they took her home to spend the rest of her time with her family. She passed away that Friday. Her blog touched alot of people. On the side of my blog is a picture of her with a link, visit the blog if you want. But really that isn't that important, her story is sad. It is touching but it is sad.

What this has made me think about is something that I do outside of work and family, I couch for team in training. It raises money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma society. I recently went to our kickoff for the season and listened to survivors talk about living through cancers that had a 10% survival rate. They talked about how the society helped them. It is a great organization. But I guess more so is the fact that I can't go to one of these events and just be amazed at the survivors. It is nice to do something but it never feels like enough.

In this economy, I know that not as many people are donating to charities. Our numbers for team in training are extremly low.

Alex's lemonade stand products raise money for the fight against Neuroblastoma. It is one of the most common cancers in children under age 2. So it really hits close to home as I look at my healthy 17 month old (she does have a double ear infection though). Wawa and some other stores sell Alex's lemonade. So grab some lemonade if you get a chance and think about Tuesday.

Sorry this hasn't been the most upbeat of posts. The story just touched me. I enjoy reading blogs as a past time, more interesting then books to me. However the thing about blogs is that they are about real people! I am going to stick to the more upbeat ones for awhile.

Oh and give me some prayers for snow, there is a chance again tomorrow.

No comments: