Monday, July 19, 2010

Another Year

You can read what I wrote at this time last year here.

My father died 21 years ago today.  It has been a long time and I do still think about him everyday and there is still that deep sadness that comes with losing a parent.  But for me there is also a profound happiness because he really was a wonderful father.  He was talented, humorous and really fun.  He valued family a great deal.

So Daddy, since last July things have been a roller coast ride.  We lost two pregnancies, Mom's house was greatly damaged by roof/chimney cap leak, it was honestly the most stressful teaching years of my career, Vickie has had some health changes, and recently Mom broke her jaw (thankfully we learned today that the treatment is going to just be soft foods for a long while and no further intervention).  There have been other things, I just wouldn't count it as being our most stable of years.  I think that everyone has those years.  

But of course, wonderful things have gone on too.  You have your fourth grandchild on the way, another little girl.  I know with 100% certainty that Celia would have adored her Pop Pop Tate.  I think about that a lot.  She doesn't understand who you are yet, she is getting there though.  She will point you out in pictures as being my Daddy but I don't think that the comprehension is there.  Celia is absolutely amazing, she is as smart as can be and if you can be too verbal at this age I believe she fits that criteria.  She has a great sense of humor and I can only imagine how much she would crack up around you. 

Daddy, you would have a fit about what is going on in the Education, primarily the Special Education world lately.  I still hold a phrase that someone told me you used to say often deep in my heart while I am working- "Nothing in education is an emergency".  If you think about it, it is totally the truth.  Of course, I questioned that a bit when I was being punched and spit at by a student. 

I hope somehow you are aware of what's going on with us.  You did make your mark certainly with Vickie and I.  We carry a piece of you everyday.   Talk to you again, this time next year.

2 comments:

mikki said...

Great post today sweetie. It's hard to believe that it's been 21 years...you are right, he was funny, sweet, hard-working, loved his family, and dedicated to teaching. Number 4 is on the way...yeah!
Lots of love...Mikki

Tracy's Big Adventure said...

Carrie... you know what an important person he was in your life.. but he was in others as well. I too miss my Uncle Cecil. He was one of the warmest, funniest, special people I had the pleasure to have as part of my family. I miss him so much... I still see him when I see you and Vicki .... we are lucky to have him in our lives no matter how sort.