Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Applesauce

I found out a few years ago that our local orchard sells "seconds" apples.  I bought them one year on a whim to make applesauce and as I was peeling them I discovered that there really was nothing wrong with them.  In fact most of them were perfect and yummy.  They have not raised the price of them since I started, $13 for a very, very, very, large basket of them.

So, as you can see- that is a lot of apples.  The bag is trash bag size, they are not mini apples

Celia helped me make the applesauce
Celia rarely helps me with cooking projects anymore so it was a nice treat

We used our fancy apple corer and peeler that my Mom purchased for us

Celia especially loved when the apples turned out like big swirls

Here she is demonstrating the coolness of an apple spring


So making the actually applesauce is very easy.  I like to make it on the stove.  I know that a lot of people swear by crockpot applesauce and I love my crockpot however I find that the texture just is a little off when I do it in the crockpot.

Put in the Pot:

Apples
Cinnamon (really according to your taste preference)
1/8th to 1/2 cup sugar depending on the apples (tart at more, sweeter apples may need no sugar)
Enough water to cover the bottom of the pot to prevent the apples from burning

Cook on low until desired texture.
I like our applesauce with some chunks in them but you can cook it until your desired texture.  I often add nothing to our applesauce and then add some sugar or cinnamon if needed.  This batch of apples were a bit more tart then I am used to so I added some sugar to the second batch.

No comments: