Friday, April 5, 2013

Marathon Training

Okay so I am writing this about a week before posting so I suppose things could change.

My 1/2 marathon training has been up and down.  I have never been one who suffered from many injuries but this time my knee has been acting up and then I got that horrible sinus infection/fever virus. So training has been difficult.  2 weeks ago I did an 8 mile training at a 12 min flat pace (all race walking).  I was very happy with that pace.  Then a few days later I decided to throw in some running into a workout and the next day my knee hurt so some time off and frustration.  I then did a 9 miler and kept myself at a pace between 12:30 to 13 min since I was not sure that my knee was really ok.  I did not feel awesome but the knee just felt stiff, no pain.  So I am 3 days out from the 9 miler and things feel ok.  I am fairly confident that I will be able to do the 1/2 marathon but race walk it.  I would love to keep a flat 12 min pace or lower but I have to be realistic that I have not done one of these in awhile so I should just focus on finishing it without injury!  I admit that I am bummed about not running primarily because I just look funny racewalking.   I do enjoy the sport, which makes me irritated too because I just look odd.  But did you know that walking at a 12:30 pace or lower burns more calories and works more muscle groups then running at an average pace (8 min miles)?  It also is easier on the joints.  I am hoping that this 1/2 marathon has quite a few walkers as it has a 6 hour time limit with an option to even start 45 min. early if you do not think that you can finish in that time.  They do offer a full marathon so that would be more of a concern for a full I suppose.

I am supposed to do a 10 miler sometime this weekend, wish me luck!

Okay so enough about that!!

I leave you with some cute pics of the girls


No comments: