Sunday, July 27, 2014

Soapy Sea Foam

So I like pinterest and I try to actually use what I pin.  The girls LOVE anything Science or sensory.  Okay, Audrey is not always so thrilled about the sensory play.  But I showed Celia this Sensory Foam idea and she was very excited to try it.  So I found an empty bin and we made some soap foam.

1/3 cup Dawn dish soap
1/3 cup water
1 TBSP cornstarch

Since our Dawn was blue we did not need any food coloring to make it look like the sea.  I tried making this with my immersion mixer but it did not do the job.  So I dug out the monster, my huge and heavy food processor and started making multiple batches of soap foam until I filled up the tub.  The cornstarch was almost magical, it held the foam for a long time.   I ended up adding more cornstarch/water as needed.  I originally put a cup of Dawn, water, and 3 TBSP cornstarch into a bowl and used the immersion blender.  When that failed I then started putting it into the food processor a little at a time, it foamed up a lot.


I hid shells in the bottom of the bin and for what ever reason they could have cared less.

5 seconds into it and Celia wanted cars for a car wash

So I grabbed some cars and they had fun with a car wash

Here is Audrey in the water big rinsing the cars.

This might seem like a lot of work for sensory play but it entertained my girls for over an hour.  Do you know how amazing that is??  It not only entertained them for an hour but they continued with part of the play scheme once they were done and played together inside the house for a bit.  

So a Pinterest Accomplished task that really worked!!

No comments: