Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Swimming

I likely will do two posts today.  But I felt compelled to write something after finding out that one of my former swim coaches passed away.  I should clarify that my exposure with him as a swim coach was limited.  My sister knew him far better then I ever did but growing up I viewed him honestly as this spectacular man.  I heard over and over about "Coach Hay" and how great he was and especialy how great his children were as swimmers.  At least to me, I alwasy remember him as soft spoken more often then not be having the ability to raise his voice among noisy swimmers.  He coached with my primary coach for awhile at our local YMCA and we also knew him through our summer swim team. 

Check out this fabulous article about him. 

It was interesting that this happened because Celia has made me think a lot about swimming.  We just returned from 3 weeks away and prior to that she was a bit hesitant about the pool.  After a few days at my sister's community pool and 2 weeks at our beach house community pool, she is a fish.  She clings to her little float and kicks all around.  She also wanted to practice swimming by having me hold her and she would kick and try to move her arms.  At her age I was swimming, primarily swimming all over the bottom of the pool, but definatly water safe. I preferred to be on the bottom, I honestly continue to be that way- if I wouldn't look so silly now. I give my mother credit for that as she introduced me very early to the water.  I was on a swim team at age 4.  I looked at my little fish and wondered if that is what track she might choose.

I was never an amazing swimmer, I had my accomplishments at different ages.  But I think that honestly I burnt out after so many years and it was'nt as important to me by the time I was a senior in highschool.  So I will give Celia some lessons in the Spring and we will see where her little heart takes her.  I want exercise to be part of her life in some form.  But swimming was honestly a mega time committment and swim meets were all day/ weekend events.  My mother is likely reading this and saying "yes, I know, I did it all, and I did a lot of it by myself- oh and remember when I had to drop you off for highschool swimming at 5 am, that was fun".  Yes..  but it actualy was fun for me!  It was our life for many, many, many years.  We were swimmers and that is what consumed us, meets on the weekend, practice during the week.  Summer swimming wasn't as bad, so maybe that is the way to go.  But highschool, Y team, and summer team- that is when it got insane!

So who knows what Celia will choose- swimming, fencing, ballet, tennis, gymnastics...

No comments: