Thursday, June 3, 2010

My love of my Birth Center

As you know by the title of my blog(if you don't go to my first entry), I gave birth to Celia in a parking lot of a Birth Center.  This Birth Center is one of the oldest in the country and has an excellent reputation.  That said, prior to getting pregnant I had not heard of it that often but I had seen it on TLC's birth story.  I don't really know what prompted me to want to use the Birth Center as I can't say that prior to getting pregnant I wasn't more for pain free labor then not, or I didn't really care.  Maybe it was the horrid experience I had at my large OB's office prior to switching to the Birth Center.  In anycase, once I went to one of their seminar's I was convinced that this was the place for me.  I was surprised when I had my first midwife appointment and she didn't want to head out the door 5 min. after meeting me like all of the OB's I had seen at my previous office.  She wanted to know how I was doing, what I was eating, how my husband was doing, etc. 

So fast forward to now.  Of course after a good first experience there, I am sticking with the Birth Center.  My husband would prefer that we use the local hospital, that I am not a fan of.  Actualy, I don't want to give birth in a hospital.  He loves the Birth Center, it is the distance that scares him.   On the plus side though- my school is moving to a location that is 15 min. from the Birth Center!!  

In anycase I had my 16 week prenatal appointment yesterday and I took Celia with me.  It is a little different then taking your child to an OB Dr. Prenatal appointment.  The midwife let her pump up the blood pressure check to check my blood pressure (90/60 as always, thank you!).  She then had a stool for Celia to stand on while I was on the exam table (don't get all excited, at this stage all they do is reveal your tummy, nothing else!).  She helped to turn on the Doppler and the midwife had Celia listen for the heartbeat.   She talked to Celia and really, she was part of the visit.  They have a sibling class that I plan on trying to get Celia to, hopefully the timing will work out.  It is supposed to be very good.  But it is nice to have her part of the visit so that Celia is aware of everything.

Oh and I am off of restrictions!! I can exercise again- starting off slow of course.  Celia and I took a walk around the neighborhood again.  I think Celia was a little bit too happy to be back in the BOB stroller!!

Carrie

1 comment:

Sara said...

LOVE that you get to have a Birth Center experience again! I'm jealous!