Thursday, July 19, 2018

July 19th

In May I did something I have never done, I left my family for a weekend.  It was good for them, I should do it more often!!

I should do it when it is for a vacation but to be honest my weekend was a very nice break.  I volunteered for Camp Erin.  It is part of the Moyer Foundation and the camps are for children ages 6 to 17 who have had someone in their life die.  It doesn't have to be a parent, just someone who was important in their lives.  Most of the campers were first time campers and a few repeaters.  I was on the snacks and comfort committee which I think was a good.  I had no campers to ask to brush teeth or to help put to bed so it was a break.  Everyone was very nice and it was a fun experience.  Yup I said that right, a bereavement camp was fun.  The camp is primarily for kids to have fun, with a little serious mixed in, but just a good time.  I will 100% to it again.

I doubt I would have done such a thing if my Dad had not died so many years ago on this day.  There was a candle lighting ceremony that was amazing and as you crossed over a bridge the kids had decorated lanterns for the person who died.  95% of these lanterns were for fathers.










And Dad send a little push to your youngest grandkid as she swims butterfly in league champs this year.  Lift up that arm that seems to stop moving 3/4 of the way to the end.  In my opinion 7 year olds should not be swimming butterfly, but she is trying to prove me wrong.  Okay maybe some crazy coaches are trying to prove me wrong.  



No comments: